Sunday on Fire

Leave a comment

September 2, 2009 by The Citron Review

by Dennis Fulgoni

 

I saw a commercial the other day regarding Rescue 911 or some shit, and the caption said, “95 percent of people run from disasters, the other 5 percent are police/fire/etc.”  What the commercial neglected to mention is writers.  We often run towards disasters, especially the natural kind that unfold so organically.  So today I drove my Jeep up into the hills to get a good look at the fires that have threatened like creditors in the midst of a recesion; I ended up parking by Sacred Heart and watching the lapping flames make their way down to JPL (where I’ve always dreamed of working); the helicopters trailing tow lines from the bottom of their frames resembled dragonflies with lazy legs.  The smoke–well you’ve seen it–billowing in purples and pinks and coppers, and finally, thousands of feet in the air, a stark white that must make the everyday clouds feel lazy.  It was a magnificent site, heavy with peril and adrenaline and sublimity and melancholy; and I had to see it; not necessarily because I would write about it someday, but because it was happening, and I was close to it, and I needed to make sense of the smoke that’s been filling my lungs for the last few days, the hazy air that’s kept me and my son out of the public pools.

 

Dennis Fulgoni earned his MFA in Fiction from Antioch University of Los Angeles.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

🍋10th Anniversary

Fall 2019 IssueSeptember 23rd, 2019
66 days to go.

🍋 Instagram

We love inventive flash fiction at The Citron Review. Today's highlight is "Knitting." https://citronreview.com/2019/06/21/knitting/ Carla Scarano D'Antonio obtained her Degree of Master of Arts in Creative Writing at Lancaster University. She self-published a poetry pamphlet, A Winding Road, and is working on a PhD on Margaret Atwood at University of Reading. She also contributes as a reviewer for The Blue Nib, London Grip, Write Out Loud, South and The /temz/ Review. #amreading #thecitronreview #summerissue #knittingstories #flashfiction
Our Creative Nonfiction Editor and playwright, Nathan Robert Elliott will have an actors' reading of his new play in Montréal at the Bibliothèque publique de Westmount Public Library on July 27 at 1:30pm.
We have some happy news to share! The Citron Review contributor Amye Archer has joined our Creative Nonfiction editorial team. Let's welcome her! Amye Archer - Author of Fat Girl, Skinny: A Memoir, and is the co-editor of If I Don't Make It, I Love You: Survivors in the Aftermath of School Shootings. (Skyhorse Publishing, Inc., 2019). She holds an MFA from Wilkes University. Amye's work has been published in Scary Mommy, Longreads, Feminine Collective, Brevity, Marie Claire, and more. Amye is mom to twin daughters and wife to Tim. She lives in Northeast Pennsylvania. Follow her at @amyearcher https://citronreview.com/2019/03/20/one-week/ #briefliterature #cheerstotenyears #amreading #TheCitronReview #creativenonfiction
We're pleased to highlight creative nonfiction from Julie Watson. "Odds Are" is now available in our Summer Issue. https://citronreview.com/2019/06/21/odds-are/ #amreading #flashcnf #summerissue #cheersto10years
Anita Goveas, @raspberrybakewell, has fiction featured in our Summer Issue. https://citronreview.com/2019/06/21/coverings/ #amreading #flashfiction #summerissue #cheersto10years
New Flash Fiction from Mary Grimm, who has published a novel, Left to Themselves and a collection of stories, Stealing Time (which are both on Random House). She teaches fiction writing at Case Western Reserve University. https://citronreview.com/…/…/21/the-dream-of-her-long-dying/ #TheCitronReview #SummerIssue #Summer2019 #flashfiction #cheersto10years

Enter your email address to follow us and receive notifications of new issues by email.

%d bloggers like this: